Maspeth, NY History
History of Maspeth
The present-day village of Maspeth grew up as a result of the Maspeth Avenue and Toll Bridge Company (1836) and the Newtown and Maspeth Plank Road Company’s (1801) building through the area and creating traffic – farmers’ wagons and stage-coaches. In 1852, two farms were cut up into streets and building lots, opening the area from 59th Place to 69th Street and from 55th Drive south to the Plank Road, now Grand Avenue.
Maspeth today is a busy shopping center, with stores lining the length of Grand Avenue. Private houses predominate on the side streets but on the west end toward Newtown Creek, there is much light industry. The population has traditionally been Polish and Italian and has remained relatively stable over the years.